Sidecar About + Privacy + Terms of Service
Please do read this
Sidecar was created so we could bring you great WordPress apps.
What we do
- We use Google Analytics on this site (sidecar.tv) to track visitors.
- When you install our plugins, we create a UUID for that installation.
- Every time you administer our plugins, we send your UUID to our Google Analytics instance.
- By gathering UUIDs that have installed our plugins and UUIDs that administer our plugins, we’ll know how many folks use our software.
- If you donate to us, we’ll likely find out your email address and possibly a mailing address when you use PayPal.
What we don’t do
- We never gather personally identifiable information on an on-going basis (but see point above about PayPal)
- Specifically, by using a UUID, we won’t know your name, your server’s hostname or your site’s name where your have our plugins installed. That said, because of the nature of HTTP requests, your computer’s IP address and your server’s IP will be sent to Google Analytics.
- To opt out of sidecar.tv’s use of Google Analtyics, please check out Google’s Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on. As of this writing it’s available for Microsoft Internet Explorer 7-10, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Opera.
- We currently have no way of opting out of our UUID server side tracking for our plugins. In the future we hope to make this a simple configuration change on a per install basis. In the meanwhile, if this tracking rubs you the wrong way, please uninstall our software. Your blog will revert to a Sidecar track-less site.
- if you really want to opt out of everything on the Internet as a whole, do some reading on these additional browser plugins: NoScript, Do Not Track Me and BetterPrivacy. They won’t help with software you install on your blog that does server to server calls, but they’ll make your browsing substantially more anonymous and forcefully opt you out of most tracking.
Terms of Service
WE LOVE SOFTWARE! We love to make good software that is easy to use. However, we’re just a small shop with no legal staff. So listen here and listen clear:
- If you’re unhappy with our software, you’re welcome to request a refund. We will always give it if ask nicely and are respectful.
- If you feel like our software might not be working correctly, contact us and we’ll see if we can help, but we make no promises.
- That said, we’re not responsible at all for anything that happens to your blog when you install our plugins including but not limited to:
- Your site slowing down.
- You giving bad advice on your blog using our software, like our awesome decision tree plugin.
- Your layout breaking.
- Another feature on your site breaking.
- You losing money, a customer or anything of material value on your site.
- We’re not responsible if you get into some nasty legal trouble using our software.
- Really though, we promise to try to be fair, open and helpful folks developing software.